What is the Adult Protective Services Act?

What is the Adult Protective Services Act?

The Adult Protective Services Act assures local agencies funded by the Illinois Department on Aging offer help to persons age 60 and older who may be abused, neglected, abandoned, or exploited by family, household members, or caregivers. Any person who suspects the abuse of a senior may report this to the local agency.

Someone who makes a report thinking it is in the senior’s best interests is immune from legal liability. They are also immune from professional disciplinary action. Their identity cannot be disclosed unless the person consents or if a court order demands it.

Some people must report abuse of a senior if they think that the senior is not able to seek help. These people are called mandated reporters. Social workers, policemen, teachers, and doctors are all mandated reporters.

Mandatory reporting does not apply to lawyers and legal service providers or bankers.

More information about elder abuse and neglect, including warning signs, can be found on the Illinois Department on Aging website.

    • Related Articles

    • What is classified as Abuse under the Illinois Domestic Violence Act?

      The IDVA defines abuse, and further defines many of the terms that are used to define abuse. Abuse includes: Physical abuse Knowing or reckless use of physical force, confinement or restraint Knowing, repeated and unnecessary sleep deprivation ...
    • What Crisis Services does Speak Out Illinois Provide?

      Our Agents are trained to Provide Resources within the Community. We provide Safety Planning, Emotional Support, Assist with Orders of Protection (If Available), Process Referrals, Dispatch Emergency Services and More.
    • What is the Safe Homes Act of Illinois?

      What is it? The Safe Homes Act is an Illinois law that allows victims of domestic or sexual violence to end their rental lease early and leave their home to protect their physical safety and emotional well being. It does not matter if the lease is ...
    • How to use the Safe Homes Act to Change Your Locks

      Tenants who are victims of domestic or sexual violence can also obtain emergency lock changes. The right to a lock change differs depending on the type of lease and if the abuser is named on the lease. For tenants with a written lease where the ...
    • What are My Rights as a Survivor of Domestic Violence?

      Employment: You may take unpaid time off work to deal with matters relating to domestic violence, sexual assault, or gender violence. You may be able to get unemployment benefits if you had to quit your job due to abuse. Personal safety: You may be ...